Australia Working Holiday Visas are very popular and each year thousands of new working holiday makers descent on Australia’s shores. There are two programs available, the Working Holiday Program and the Work and Holiday Program.

The Working Holiday Program

Australia has a Working Holiday Programme that allows citizens of other countries who are aged between 18 and 30 years of age to come to Australia to travel and work for up to 12 months. If you work in Australia’s regional areas, in certain circumstances you may be able to extend your stay for an additional 12 months. There are two visas available under the programme and they are the Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) and the Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462).

If you intend to participate in Australia’s Working Holiday Maker programme, you must apply for your visa before you arrive. These types of visas allow you to stay and work full-time, part-time, casual, shift and voluntary work for up to 12 months. You can leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.

Apply for the Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462) if you are from:
• Argentina
• Bangladesh
• Chile
• Indonesia
• Malaysia
• Poland
• Turkey
• Thailand
• Uruguay

Apply for the Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) if you are from:
• United Kingdom
• Canada
• Belgium
• Denmark
• Estonia
• Finland
• France
• Germany
• Hong Kong
• Italy
• Japan
• Malta
• Netherlands
• Norway
• Republic of Ireland
• Republic of Cyprus
• Republic of Korea
• Sweden
• Taiwan

The Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection manages all visa applications (Tourist Visa, Student Visa, Business Visa, etc). Their website will tell you everything you need to know about the various visas to enter Australia including types of visas, your eligibility and obligations and how to apply:


  • Have any suggestions or questions regarding this blog? Drop me a message in the comments below!


    To help you sort your Australian Adventure/s whether you are leaving soon or are already on the road, check out my books Live Work and Play in Australia and Travellers Fare – Fast and Fabulous Meals for Travellers. Pls note: the links on the books will take you to LiveWorkPlayTravel (my working holiday website) where the bookstore is and where you can purchase my books.









    Use the following links – these are my go-to websites that help me live, work and play in Australia and they can help you too.


    Disclaimer: Some links in this blog are affiliate links and if you make a purchase at not extra cost to you, I receive a commission. I thank you in advance as it helps to keep this website going.

    As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

    Like this blog – Pin it.